Nestled in the heart of Wisconsin, the Greater Wausau area is a vibrant hub of arts and culture, offering an array of experiences for families and art enthusiasts alike. This guide will take you through the area's most cherished cultural sites, including art museums, the Center for the Visual Arts (CVA), the Grand Theater, and more, ensuring a delightful experience for visitors of all ages.
The Art Museums: A Visual Feast
The art museums in the Greater Wausau area are a must-visit for anyone looking to immerse themselves in visual creativity. Each museum offers a unique perspective on both local and international art:
1. Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum: Renowned for its Birds in Art exhibition, this museum offers an impressive collection of contemporary art, with a focus on wildlife. The museum's interactive family programs make it a fantastic spot for children to learn about art and nature.
2. Wausau Museum of Contemporary Art: This museum showcases the work of emerging and established artists, with a focus on contemporary art trends. It's a great place to explore cutting-edge art and engage in thought-provoking discussions.
The Center for the Visual Arts (CVA)
Located in the heart of downtown Wausau, the CVA is a cornerstone of the local arts scene. This dynamic space hosts art exhibitions, workshops, and educational programs. The CVA's galleries feature works by local and regional artists, offering a glimpse into the area's artistic talents. It's an excellent place for families to participate in art classes and workshops together.
The Grand Theater: A Cultural Landmark
The Grand Theater is a historic venue that offers a wide array of performances ranging from Broadway shows to local theater productions. Its magnificent architecture and rich history make it a cultural landmark. Families can enjoy a variety of shows, including children's theater, concerts, and dance performances, making it a perfect spot for a memorable night out.
Other Cultural Amenities:
The Greater Wausau area is brimming with cultural hotspots that cater to a wide range of interests:
- Marathon County Historical Society: Dive into local history through its exhibitions and historic homes tours. It's an educational experience for the whole family.
- Yawkey House Museum: 1901 Classical Revival architecture on the National Historic Registry open for tours. Experience the life of lumber magnate Cyrus Yawkey.
- From Laos to America Museum: The largest collection of Lao and Hmong cultural artifacts in the country, revealing the history of immigration to America.
- Wausau Symphony and Band: Enjoy the stirring performances of classical music and contemporary pieces. Their concerts are often family-friendly and a treat for music lovers.
- Monk Botanical Gardens: There is much to do in the gardens in the winter! From Crafts & Cocoa to Monk Around in the Winter to Hands on Plants, there is plenty of fun.
- Local Art Galleries and Studios: Explore the numerous local art galleries and studios scattered throughout the area, where you can witness artists at work and purchase unique artworks.
Family Fun Beyond Arts and Culture:
The Greater Wausau area is not just about arts and culture; it's also a place for outdoor adventures and family fun:
- Rib Mountain State Park: Ideal for hiking and exploring nature.
- Granite Peak Ski Resort: Ski and snowboard on Rib Mountain.
- Sylvan Tubing Hill: A winter delight for families who love snow tubing.
- Children's Imaginarium: A hands-on museum perfect for young explorers.
The Greater Wausau area's arts and culture scene offers an enriching experience for visitors of all ages. Whether you're an art aficionado, a theater enthusiast, or looking for family-friendly activities, this area has something special for everyone. Plan your visit and immerse yourself in the artistic and cultural vibrancy of Wisconsin’s Outdoor Basecamp!