About Wausau Marathon
Saturday, August 19, 2023
Race & Relay Information
Friday, August 18, 2023 from 11 am to 7 pm at Marathon Park, Wausau, WI.
While we recommend that each runner picks up their race number, packet, and t-shirt at Packet Pick-Up the day before the race, you can have someone else pick up your race packet for you.
**There will be NO on-site registration the date of the races (August 19, 2023)**
There will be NO shirt exchanges until after the races are complete and then you can exchange if we have your desired size. Thank you!
Race Day Event Times
Saturday, August 19, 2023
5:30 AM Marathon Park Opens
7:00 AM Full Marathon + Relay Starts
7:20 AM Half Marathon starts
11:00 AM Awards ceremony for overall winners and age group winners (tentative)
Overall Winners In Each Race Event
Top 3 from each age group (male & female) in the Marathon and Half Marathon will receive an award
16-19 | 20-24 | 25-29 | 30-34 | 35-39 | 40-44 | 45-49 | 50-54 | 55-59 | 60-64 | 65-69 | 70+
Top Overall Male & Female:
1st Place | 2nd Place | 3rd Place
Pacers for the Full Marathon & Half
Information to come
Marathon Course certified by USA Track & Field and our certification # is WI13028DM. The link below may show the Marathon Course as longer than 26.2 miles but it is the regulation distance.
*We are sorry for any confusion the map is giving anyone. The spike or elevation you are seeing at mile 26 is not correct. That mile is pretty flat and will be rounding you back to the park. If you have anymore questions concerning this please let us know: 715-355-8788. Thank you!
Wausau Marathon Relay
The Wausau Marathon Team Relay offers runners another way to run the marathon – with friends, family or co-workers. Teams are encouraged to seek sponsorship from local corporations, social clubs, restaurants, etc. and use that organization’s name as their team name.
Each member of the top three relay teams will be awarded.
Marathon Relay Rules
- Relay teams will consist of 2-4 runners per team.
- Four “Relay Hand-Off Sites” will be designated on the course. Although teams are encouraged to use these hand-off sites, they are not required to do so and may break up the 26.2-mile course as they please.
- Each relay spot will be clearly marked as “RELAY EXCHANGE” sign. Participants should exchange in the general vicinity of the sign.
- Each team will be supplied one hand off band to serve as the “baton.” This band is easy to remove and transfer between runners.
- No parking is allowed on the actual race course. Please park on side streets or adjacent parking lots. Be aware of runner and course direction to ensure that your team vehicle egress is not hindered.
- Please do not attempt to follow your team member as they navigate the course. This is strictly prohibited.
- The race organizers reserve the right to reject team names that might be deemed offensive to other participants and spectators.
- Failure to follow these rules may result in disqualification
- There will be no shuttles provided to the relay teams. Teams must provide their own vehicles to move between the exchange locations. The relay exchange locations offer ample parking.
Relay Hand-off Locations
RELAY EXCHANGE #1 – Mile Marker 6.5 - Location: Corner of Camp Phillips Rd and Concord St (Idea Charter School, 4704 Camp Phillips Rd, Weston)
RELAY EXCHANGE #2 – Mile Marker 13 - Location: Corner of Paniolo Rd and Forest Grove Ave. in Kronenwetter
RELAY EXCHANGE #3 – Mile Marker 19.8 - Location: End of River Park Trail at E. Sunrise Dr. in Rothschild
RELAY TEAM REUNITE AREA – Mile Marker 25.8 - Location: Corner of S. 17th Av and West St in Wausau
Best viewing spots and areas for taking pictures of the race are:
- Yellow Banks Park on Northwestern Avenue in Weston
- Along Camp Phillips Drive in Weston
- Northland Lutheran High School at the corner of Tower Drive and Kowalski Avenue in Kronenwetter
- Along Eagles Nest Boulevard in Rothschild
- Sunrise Drive pedestrian bridge over Hwy 29 in Weston
- Fishing pier and park by Seventeenth Avenue bridge in Rib Mountain
- Marathon Park at the start and finish lines in Wausau
Athlete and Running Race Event Highlights:
- Start and Finish in Marathon Park, near downtown Wausau
- Free Beer (for Participants Over 21)
- Tech T-Shirt
- Outstanding Finisher Medal
- Scenic Views of Central Wisconsin
- Gatorade and Water available at 16 locations along the Marathon Course
- PortaJohns located after every hydration station
- Gel stations along the course
- Athlete recovery area with plenty of refreshments
- Free Parking at Marathon Park and Plenty of Parking in Downtown Wausau