We are cancelling the 2020 race day and turning it into a challenge through September 30, 2020. We want to keep this simple and make it easy for you to follow.
Here's how it will work:
1. The 50k and Marathon courses will be marked at the Underdown Recreation Area.
2. Registered runners will receive a separate email with the course gps and any pertinent information. You should expect that by August 17th.
3. Registered runners who decide to take on the 2020 challenge will receive a package in the mail containing a Badger State Medal, a commemorative race bib, and a engraved Underdown Trail Run wood plaque. We have decided to send this to you up front, even before some of you run it. Just showing up in 2020 is a win in my book.
4. You run the course.
5. Send some proof of your accomplishment to me at email@example.com. GPS with time is best and that time will be posted on the website. If no gps, you will be recorded as finished.
6. That is it. You are on your own and responsible for yourself, so plan accordingly. There are plenty of access points that you can set up plenty of aid or have loved ones meet you.
What are your options?
1. Participate in this strange 2020 and be part of a pretty small group of people who can handle the card they are dealt and make something of it. Run the 2020 race on the course on your own time or with friends.
2. Full refund - please note that we are putting as much money as we can from this back into the Underdown trail work. Chris has spent a lot of funds already this year rerouting a section utilizing flat bridges over some wet terrain, as well as put in some time and work maintaining many of the trails. Also, if everyone requests a refund, frankly, we won't exist and can no longer put on the event. It's not a big money making situation, so we are always just trying to make things the best we can for you, while keeping a keen eye on costs. This is an unprecedented situation and just trying to do what's best for everyone.
3. Transfer registration to 2021.
Can others still register and be part of the 2020 event?
Yes, please have them email Race Director Ben Welnak at firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a summer to set your own schedule. Ride or run any event alone or in a small group for Badger State Games awards or just to enjoy a wonderful route. Report all of your Underdown racing results here!
Map of all courses.
While using this map you may check and uncheck courses to focus on your events. Underdown trails will have some great re-routes in June so you’ll just have to wait for the updates. Courses will have limited marking this year.
Trail Runs - Open August 1st with interesting re-routes completed. Register at Underdown Trails to be eligible for awards. Route marking and GPX file in the works.
Dog Lake 10k: A rolling run on Ice Age Trail and other singletrack out to the shelter and back.
Oktoberfest Half Marathon: Out to the high point past three lakes on the same singletrack used by the 13 mile bike race.
Anderson Lake Marathon: A marathon of pure singletrack and hills all the way.
Prairie Dells 50k: The legend of 70 hills, four lakes and the Prairie Dells gorge.
Gravel Rides - Open now for self-reported finishes through August 31st.
Badger State BURGR 95: The 9th running of this remote course that includes fast gravel and rough fire lanes through Lincoln, Langlade and Oneida Counties. This course is totally self-supported this year, although Fork Horners has great food and drink at the finish. Register through the Badger State Games to be eligible for awards. Proceeds go toward trail improvements like the new Underdown Lake boardwalk. GPX File
TTT103: The 5th running of a rustic expedition from Tomahawk over Timm’s Hill and back via Tripoli. This free ride is self-navigated and self-supported, but there are chances to buy food in Ogema, Tripoli and the Windmill. GPX File
Willow 68: An upgrade to the TT63, this scenic route will circumnavigate the Willow Flowage past the breathtaking sites of Gobler Lake and the Elk River climb. GPX File
Windmill 33: This is a mellow excursion along winding county roads, a remote fire lane and the Hiawatha Trail with a stop at the Windmill for ice cream if you like. GPX File
Mountain Bike Challenges - Open August 1st with interesting re-routes completed.
Oktoberfest 13: Out to the high point on the same singletrack used by the half marathon. Register with WEMS to be eligible for awards. Proceeds go towards trail improvements like the new Underdown Lake boardwalk. Route marking and GPX file in the works.
Thunderdown in the Underdown 33mile: Still rowdy since 1989. The legend of 70 hills, four lakes and the Prairie Dells gorge. Register with WEMS to be eligible for awards. Proceeds go towards trail improvements like the new Underdown Lake boardwalk. Route marking and GPX file in the works.
Hundred Down in the Underdown: Become one of the few to complete two or three laps for 100 miles and 10,000 vertical feet. Register with WEMS to be eligible for awards. Proceeds go towards trail improvements like the new Underdown Lake boardwalk.
Unduro Downhill: A six mile loop timed via Strava using the Disconnector, Oktoberfest and Connector trails. Lowest total time down seven downhills in a single ride wins. Race will open once the bulldozed run down the Ice Ridge is rebuilt with jumplines and flow.
Underdown - Roche Epic: Over 130 miles of self-supported trail riding that will include Underdown, Harrison Hills, Parrish Hills, Jack Lake, Crocker Hills and Nicolet-Roche. You are seriously on your own out there. This route traces the terminal moraine of the last glaciation so it is all hills! GPX file in the works.
ABOUT THE RACES
The Underdown Trail Races are grassroots trail runs in Northern Wisconsin.
We’re conveniently located only 6 miles off of Highway 51 and offer runners a wilderness experience on challenging trails.
Runners can choose from a variety of distances, including a 50k, marathon, half marathon, and 10k. Come out for one or camp for the weekend. See you in August!
There will be food and beer to round out the party on Saturday!
DISTANCES & PRICING
50k: $65 (1/1/20 – 2/29/20); $75 (3/1/20 – 7/31/20); $85 (8/1/20 – 8/22/20)
Marathon: $50 (1/1/120 – 2/29/20); $60 (3/1/20 – 7/31/20); $70 (8/1/20 – 8/22/20)
Half Marathon: $40 (1/1/20 – 2/29/20); $50 (3/1/20 – 7/31/20); $60 (8/1/20 – 8/22/20)
10K: $20 (1/1/20 – 2/29/20); $30 (3/1/20 – 7/31/20); $40 (8/1/20 – 8/22/20)
Friday, August 21st
4:00-8:00pm: Packet Pickup/Check In at Race Headquarters at the Underdown Rec Area. Outhouse/Pit toilets available on site.
Saturday, August 22nd
6:30 – 7:30am: Packet Pickup/Check In at Race Headquarters at the Underdown Rec Area. Outhouse/Pit toilets available on site.
8:00am: 50K Race Start at RaceHQ. This is a loop race and you start and finish in the same spot.
8:45am: Marathon Race Start at RaceHQ. This is a loop race and you start and finish in the same spot.
9:30am: Half Marathon Race Start at RaceHQ. This is a loop race and you start and finish in the same spot.
10:00am: 10K Race Start. This is a loop race and you start and finish in the same spot.
10:45 – 11am: Estimate of First Half Marathon Finishers.
11 – 11:30am: Estimate of First Half Marathon Finishers.
12 – 1:00pm: Estimate of First Marathon Finishers.
1 – 2:00pm: Estimate of First 50K Finishers.
3:00pm – ????: Food, music, campfire, drinks, and stories!
5:00pm: Marathon Cut Off Time
8:00pm: 50K Finish Cut Off Time
Awards will get going for each distance after we have a good amount of award winners in.
**Times are subject to change
QUESTIONS: Contact Race Director Ben Welnak: email@example.com