This lovely brick house was built in 1914 for the Yawkey’s daughter Leigh and her husband Aytchmonde P. Woodson. This house was also designed by George W. Maher. After both of the Yawkeys had died, the Woodsons moved to Highland Park Boulevard and sold their house to the Immanuel Baptist congregation. The church added a bell tower and a sanctuary to the back of the house in 1956. The Historical Society purchased the Woodson House in 1995, and today it contains the library and archives, artifacts and exhibits.
The old Woodson mansion has a haunted past. Staff have reported the sound of a telephone ringing in a room that has no phone. Phantom footsteps can be heard coming down the upstairs hallway and descending the main staircase. Strange odors have been reported in an upstairs room, and the door alarm often sounds by itself.