|325 Grand Avenue Wausau, 54403|
In early 1999, the then-Most Reverend Bishop of La Crosse, Raymond L. Burke, now Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura, graciously permitted the Institute of Christ the King to move to St. Mary's on Grand Avenue in Wausau, Wisconsin. The beautiful century-old neo-Gothic church dates from 1893 and is the original mother parish of Wausau. St. Mary's was formerly a German-speaking parish into the 1930s when the Sunday sermons were delivered in German. The church is one of the most beautiful examples for American neo-Gothic architecture in Wisconsin and has also been very ornate in its interior. In 1953, a terrible fire destroyed not only the high and side altars but also the complete interior of St. Mary's. In the following years, it was restored to a more modern style, combining the taste of the time with some elements taken from the original neo-Gothic features. Even though the fire destroyed the antique beauty of the building, and though other Catholic parishes were being founded in Wausau, St. Mary's remained the most prominent old ecclesiastical edifice in the city of Wausau.